Listed below are some helpful hints to make moving day go smoothly and efficiently. These are suggestions to speed up the packing and moving process, which will save you (and us) time and money!
- When choosing a moving service, ensure they are licensed and insured, and can provide several references.
- Start with out-of-season items. Next, pack things used infrequently. Leave until last the things you’ll need until moving day.
- Keep all parts or pairs together. Examples are curtain rods, mirror bolts and other small hardware items. Place in plastic bags and tape or tie securely to article they belong to.
- Please bubble wrap and box all artwork, mirrors, and glass shelves. We can only take artwork/picture frames/mirrors if they are protected in a picture box.
- Remove lamp shades from lamps and box or take in a personal vehicle.
- Place a two or three-inch layer of crushed paper in the bottom of a carton for cushioning.
- Colored wrapping helps to draw attention to small items.
- Avoid overloading cartons, but strive for a firm pack that will prevent items from shifting.
- As you finish each carton, list the contents on the side of box (for easy viewing while boxes are stacked) and in a special notebook. You might want to number or code the cartons as well.
- Unplug all electronics. It’s a good idea to label all cords you remove for easy reassembly (we can assist if needed).
- Put a special mark on cartons you want to unpack first at destination.
- Have all items that you want moved boxed and placed near the exit.
- Please don’t pack heavier items (books, cd’s, records, or dishes) in large or wardrobe boxes. Small boxes are the better choice.
- Label boxes with the room in which you want them placed in at the “moving to” location. Color coordinating the boxes/furniture with stickers is another efficient way to identify what goes where.
- If possible, try to park your car in the spot in front of your house/apartment building where we will need to park the moving truck. The further we have to park the truck from the door, the longer it will take.
- If you live in an apartment, let your manager know when you will be moving, so you can reserve the freight elevator, if there is one.
- If you plan to provide your own moving truck, rent at least 12 furniture pads to protect furniture surfaces. Also, please provide rope so we can secure your load for transport.
- Don’t forget to change your address!
- Please remember to keep your checkbook with you during your move if you intend to pay by check. Payment will be collected at the completion of your move.
- Click here to download printable packing labels that you can tape to your boxes. (Requires MS Excel)